TransWork is a program of the Independence Business Alliance, with the goal of increasing access to opportunity for transgender people in the Greater Philadelphia region. Launching in 2018, the program will include two components: connecting trans folks with supportive employers; and promoting and supporting transgender entrepreneurship.
For the jobs program, the IBA will recruit LGBTQ and trans-friendly businesses to post openings specifically to recruit trans employees. The focus here is on helping both highly skilled applicants and those who need more assistance to find supportive employment. Ideally, to help serve as many transgender people as possible, we will partner with workforce development programs to help participants who need that assistance get ready for employment. We also plan to conduct legal, cultural, and sensitivity training with workforce development providers and with employers, to ensure the placements are healthy places for transgender employees to work.
Aspects of the program include:
- Job bank that features trans-friendly or trans-safe jobs.
- Resume bank for more proactive recruitment by employers
- Trans Job Fairs to allow candidates to meet with employers in person
- Assistance with resume preparation, interview skills and workplace readiness
- Sensitivity Training (legal and cultural) for employers and supportive services
- Connecting participants with Workforce development programs
For the entrepreneurship program, the IBA seeks to serve existing or aspiring transgender entrepreneurs to form or grow a business. We will seek out existing transgender entrepreneurs and other business owners to mentor participants, connect them with various programs and support services, help them become certified as LGBTBEs, and provide structured networking opportunities in addition to other opportunities available through the IBA.
- Aspects of the program will include:
- Business Mentorship
- Sensitivity Training for mentors
- Assistance with LGBTBE Certification
- Connecting Trans entrepreneurs with Business Resources and Technical Assistance organizations
- Networking Opportunities
TransWork.org will be launching soon – stay tuned!