Department: Sales and MarketingReports to: Director of Program MarketingStatus: Exempt
The Group Sales Manager will lead the efforts to meet the goals and objectives of the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts. The Group Sales Manager is responsible for all aspects of group sales, including, but not limited to, processing group requests, strategizing and developing group communications including mailings and emails, maintaining relationships with current group sales contacts and initiating communication with potential new contacts. Some time traveling in the community and making contacts will be required.
The Group Sales Manager will be responsible for managing a schedule that includes more than 400 performances inclusive of multiple signature series, additional performances and events, through:
- Creation and execution of group sales strategies and plans;
- Revenue and attendance goal setting and achievement of those goals;
- Institutional initiatives and programs;
- Tourism outreach;
- Education outreach;
- Business and HR outreach;
The Group Sales Manager will be a hands-on and deeply involved sales and marketing professional. This is a highly collaborative environment that is results driven, with strategic thinking, goal-oriented action, follow-through and open communication.
Key factors contributing to the success of the Group Sales Manager will be the ability to build key relationships, provide outstanding customer service, and think creatively and strategically. The Group Sales Manager will collaborate with the marketing and programming teams, and other departments to raise public awareness of the Kimmel Center Cultural Campus and its programs, and to develop effective outreach and campaign strategies that connect with ticket buyers, donors and the general public to produce positive results. In achieving its objectives, the Group Sales Manager will consistently review the current group sales infrastructure to ensure it has the tools to respond quickly, effectively, creatively and contextually to long term financial requirements, short term operating needs and to the public’s interests capitalizing on opportunities.
Essential FunctionsCounted among the responsibilities of the Group Sales Manager will be to:
- Provide direction in fulfilling of The Kimmel Center goals as it relates to group ticket sales.
- Research and grow list of corporations, community organizations, schools, churches and other potential group sales purchasers.
- Maintain and update database of current and potential group sales contacts.
- Initiate communication and develop relationships with potential group sales contacts.
- Manage and maintain current relationships with group leaders.
- Process group sales requests received via phone, mail, fax, email or in person.
- Develop long range plans and new programs to help increase group attendance in the region.
- Help plan group sales events, Theater Crawls, region familiarization tours and other events designed to generate interest in the region with groups.
- Manage a Group Sales part-time assistant(s) and Group Sales/Events Intern.
- Increase repeat attendance of groups from season to season and within seasons with a robust retention program.
- Attract the largest employers in Philadelphia to use group purchases as an employee benefit.
- Partner with the PHLCVB to attract regular convention groups.
- Maintain and grow a first-class customer relationship initiative with all group prospects, past patrons, and current patrons.
- Integrate Group Sales plans with overall Marketing plans for every title, working with the Marketing team.
- Plan annual group leader events for Broadway and Kimmel Center Presents product lines.
- Maintain the Group Sales Line with live reception and timely callbacks.
- Create, strategize, and maintain an annual budget, providing accurate expense backup.
- Liaise with various Chambers of Commerce and concierge associations, attend selected events in representation of the Center; coordinate with the Marketing leads, Education and Development departments, and consultants for additional staff assistance and a shared approach, shared resources, and synergy opportunities.
- Oversight and growth of the bundled groups program
- Partner with the marketing leads and Development team to maximize group sales leads and to help better cultivation of potential donors and sponsors.
- Database savvy – experience with Tessitura a plus.
- Understanding of niche and diversity marketing.
- Manage production and distribution of group sales materials, including flyers, posters, point of purchase, display and presentation materials as well as promotional giveaways.
- Use potential promotions to strategize and execute attendance plan for fairs, festivals, restaurants, hotels, stores, libraries, and other partner events/locations;
- Analyze and report campaign data, promo code reports, and manage set up of promo codes using Tessitura.
- Purchase and distribution of Kimmel Center and show-themed promotional logo items;
- Contribute to promo code construction, set up, and tracking.
- Manage inventory, fulfill orders and distribute tickets to groups.
- Maintain sales reports and figures so that an accurate historical picture of group sales in the organization can be viewed.
- With maintained lists, aid in the distribution of marketing materials to key audiences.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to work independently to develop and execute successful sales strategies.
- Intermediate proficiency in MS Office.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Budget management experience is preferred.
Environment, Physical Demands, and Other Conditions
- Office environment
- Ability to work some nights and weekends
Personal CharacteristicsThe Group Sales Manager should be:
A big-picture thinker with a belief in and commitment to the mission of the Kimmel Center and the performing arts; who by example and with integrity, sets and meets high standards of expectation and excellence introspectively and with others;
Resolute yet diplomatic; firm yet respectful of other’s concerns; flexible and creative in finding alternative solutions to challenges;
Skilled at listening; charismatic at communication with the ability to build trusting relationships with individuals and groups in this diverse community;
A coach and mentor dedicated to sharing success.
Education / Experience
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent professional experience in the Ticketing/Group Sales industry.
- Must be able to adapt to broad variety of work assignments and environments, pressures and personalities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to represent the Center to the public sector, corporations, community groups, universities and schools and other organizations.
- Must be well organized.
- Basic knowledge of the computer, including MS Word and Excel spreadsheets
- Demonstrated management skills in motivating, directing and leading staff and consultants, and in coordinating and supporting the effective productivity of others.
- Deep understanding of how to function effectively in a multi-ethnic work environment and community.